Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Bouchercon Photo Essay



I am in the midst of a quick turnaround between Bouchercon and Icelandic Noir.  Who knew writing books would be so strenuous.  In truth, I feel tremendously lucky to be attending these book festivals.  And especially now, at my ADVANCED age, to be part of such a welcoming tribe of talented and interesting people.

My time for the keyboard is limited, so today the best I can managed is these glimpses of what the last week was like.


My week began with a visit to a life-long friend, which included her grandson's
second birthday party and an unforgettably joyous reaction of the little guy to
her birthday gift to him.

The pre-B'con days included visits to LA's museums.  LACMA has on view a
fabulous exhibition of samurai armor.

  

We continued with the Asian aesthetic at Huntington Gardens and the Chinese
and Japanese gardens.  These are bonsai Italian cypresses. 

A pavilion in the Chinese gardens.

The view from my room at the Long Beach Hyatt

The MWA table featured a cut-out of our patron saint.  When
I happened by, friends Michael Sears and Susan Spann were
also on view.

My panel with the Murder is Everywhere bloggers: Stan Trollip, Cara Black,
yours truly, Jeff Siger, Caro Ramsay, and the other Michael Sears.




The panel on Asian mysteries, with Lisa Brackmann (on the right) holding forth.


Since I was on the Pacific coast and this is the sun over water,
you might think this is sunset, taken from my room.  But it is dawn !?!
And I thought the geography of LA was difficult to understand.



Annamaria Alfieri

2 comments:

  1. Annamaria, you have such a gift for reporting people, I look forward to your more in-depth blog on the Bouchercon. TJ Straw in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time!!! And what a great way to begin the trip with that visit to your grandson!! I was brought up on the West cost and I still have trouble with sunsets and sunrises over water. Lovely scene!!

    ReplyDelete