Sunday, December 13, 2015

Not Always a Lonely Hunter… Is a Crime Writer

Any writer who has the nerve to wade into the murky world of crime novels has a lot of guts. Talent also. Plus allegiance to fellow members of the unique Tribe called Crime Novelists.

When you admit to non-Tribals you are a Writer, often their eyes glaze over, as they give you "that" patronizing smile.

Then, when you whisper the word - CRIME - they put on their protective shields, stammer they have an urgent meeting, and vanish…

But mention the magic word C-R-I-M-E to a fellow Tribal and you are at once held by the warmth of instant bonding!

Most folks who write Crime Fiction are far from being criminals themselves. Most of us are guardians of our Precious Earth Planet.

We have deep respect for Fellow Tribesmen, regard them as dear friends and colleagues.

I bear great honor for people of my Tribe… some names are engraved upon my soul: Marilyn Henderson, author of over 60 novels, who honored me as Crime Book Reviewer for her early email work, Lady M.

Mel Berger, eminently wise agent of the Great and Famous, who is the best writing coach on the planet!

And many others: Alice Orr, versatile early pillar of the Mystery Writers, Leslie Budewitz, now SinC President, a thoughtful sharer.

Bob Knightly, Esquire, Jim Fusilli, Al Ashforth, for diverse expertises and professionalism.

Andy Peck, whose lawyerly guidance taught us how to stay within the boundaries.

Hallie Ephron, Hank P. Ryan, and Robin Hathaway (R.I.P.), who share with untold numbers of crime-writing Tribals their wisdom.

Earl Staggs and Kaye Barley, two of the friendliest Tribals on the planet!!

The hundreds of crime writers who have inspired us, not only with their writing, but their braininess and guts in swimming through the icy torrents to get published!

Please give your thanks, as I do today, for the Tribals in your life, who have inspired, nurtured, advised you --- in your own swim through the icy waters of the sea of publishing!

Tell us who your own Tribal Guides have been !!!!!

Thelma J. Straw

15 comments:

  1. aw, Thelma - Thank You for including me in your list of Tribal Guides. I do have a few people I would have to say have been guides to me, some are names you and I share. Earl, of course, and Hank. All the Jungle Red women. Margaret Maron and Louise Penny. and you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thelma, this is lovely. And YES, the Tribe is wonderfully supportive, something I had never expected. We commiserate and support. And as long as none of us gets too full of ourselves ;-) we're happy to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make my life brighter, daily, with your smart insights, Kaye! And I am strengthened by the Jungle Reds too. Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallie, those words commiserate and supportive are worth their weight in platinum! Thanks for coming today to CWC. Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  5. AW..you make me cry. SO delighted to be swooped up in your/our wonderful tribe! I think about it every day, and count blessings. You are a top shelf one of them! xoxo and love you madly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thelma, This is such a wonderful post. With your devotion to the tribe, you actually inspire me to read and write more.
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hank, you are the most productive person on the planet! Whoever gets in 1600 next time should put you on her/his staff! Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thelma, you are so RIGHT!! We belong to the best mutual support cum mutual admiration society on this planet. And you are one of the most faithful and warmest. Thank you for celebrating this lovely fact of our writing lives. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Annamaria, yes mutual support is wonderful! Thelma

      Delete
  9. Oh, Thelma! Thank you for including me in the honor roll. Crime and mystery writers are among the kindest and most generous people I have ever known -- so amazing! Love you right back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I and dozens of us in SinC are sOOOO proud of you , dear friend! Thelma

      Delete
  10. Thelma, this is so thoughtful. I've always been warmed by the generosity and support that flows among crime writing Tribals. I've also been warmed by your friendship. You're a genuine gem, my dear. Thanks for mentioning me, especially in the same sentence with the magnificent Kaye Barley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Earl, you are a great soul and always warm my heart - as well as delight me with your writing!!! Still looking for the next novel.... Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. " Thanks, Thelma,I rather like being ' a versatile early pillar.' Thanks, Thelma. " Alice Orr

    ReplyDelete